Whether they fear them or love them, what kid isn’t fascinated by insects?
Top 5 Insect Books for Preschoolers:
1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle – Age: infants +
The classic book is available as a board book for the very young. Everyone knows this one (or should). The caterpillar eats his way through a ton of food before making his dramatic transformation.
2. Frog Went A-Courtin’, by John Langstaff – Age: 3 +
Old folk song wonderfully illustrated for children. Ostensibly about Froggie and Miss Mouse but there are an awful lot of insects invited to the shindig.
3. Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears, by Verna Aardema – Age: 4 +
A traditional African tale about events spiralling out of control as a result of a simple lie.
4. Grasshopper on the Road, by Arnold Lobel – Age: 5 +
Grasshopper hits the open road and meets many interesting insects along the way.
5. James and the Giant Peach, by Roald Dahl – Age: 5 +
James adventures across the ocean on a giant peach, accompanied by several larger-than-life insect friends. A chapter book, perhaps about 9-yr-old reading level, but eminently suitable to read aloud to a five-year-old. Very short chapters, lots of action and humour.